Family Integration History Center - Ellis Island
- Search for immigration records for anyone who passed through Ellis
Courtesy of the Ellis Island Foundation.
commercial site assembles many links to genealogy resources on the web.
site that assembles links, but also contains some transcribed records that
can be examined without charge.
- Discussion forum and also a guide to resources.
Includes access to some data, and focuses primarily on Afro-American
- Cyndi's List
- Possibly the largest collection of online links to genealogy related
sites, organized and indexed courtesy of genealogist Cyndi Howell. A very
- The Daughters of the American Revolution are one of the major
collectors of genealogical information in North America. Their library
catalog is accessible online, though most of the materials themselves are
not online at this time.
Internet Genealogy Service
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints is perhaps the world's largest accumulator of genealogical data. This
web site gives free public access to some of their major data files that
used to be available only on microfiche.
- This is a very commercial site, but does contain useful information as
well. Sponsored by a commercial marketer of data on CD-ROM.
- Heritage Quest Online
- A subscription service provided by Harvard Diggins Library for our patrons,
Heritage Quest includes access to US Census data, Revolutionary War records, a
large collection of family histories, and the PERSI genealogical index. Anyone
may use this resource from terminals inside the library. Home users with a valid
Harvard Diggins library card may also use it from their internet connected home
- The Illinois State Archives hold information of
interest both to historical researchers and to genealogists. This web site
is a guide to some of the available resources there.
- This site provides links especially useful for
genealogical research in French Canada, Belgium, and France.
site focused on Jewish genealogy and family history.
- McHenry County Historical Society
- The MCHS has a library with local history and genealogical data as well as a collection of photos and portraits of early pioneers in the area.
County Illinois Genealogical Society
- The local organization most
concerned with genealogical research in McHenry county.
Archives and Records Administration
- NARA is the official federal government archive in the US. Census, land,
and military records are all administered by the National Archives, and made
available to the general public at several locations as well as by mail and
over the web.
- This organization is concerned with promoting and aiding the study of
genealogy in the US.
- This non-profit web site contains a very large amount of freely accessible
information of value to genealogical researchers.
- Not for profit website providing data and communication forums for genealogical researchers working on US families.
- Vital records information: what is it, what
dates are covered, how to get it for each state.
- A non-profit site providing data and communication
forums for international genealogical research.